Bakersfield, Calif. – The CSU Bakersfield men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams will race at the same event for the first time in nearly two months, when they travel for team competition at UC San Diego on Jan. 2 at noon PT. The Roadrunner men will swim head-to-head against their Mountain Pacific Sports Federation foe, while the CSUB women will face UCSD and Loyola Marymount in a tri-meet format.
“UCSD is the team to beat this season and this weekend is a chance to prove our ability and that we won’t make it easy on them at the conference championship,” said CSUB Director of Swimming Chris Hansen. “We haven’t rested or shaved yet this season and we’re in the middle of training camp, but we hope to gain confidence by swimming fast, even when tired.”
The Roadrunners and Tritons shared the pool at the Dixie State Invitational in November, and last competed in a dual meet format on Jan. 4, 2020, at CSUB. LMU’s women’s team also competed at the event two years ago.
UCSD swept both team events that season, while the Bakersfield women raced past LMU.
Sunday’s event will take place at the Canyonview Aquatic Center on the UCSD campus. Per UCSD policy, no spectators are allowed in attendance. Event results will be shared on social media and via GoRunners.com when available.
NEWS & NOTES:
- Autumn D’Arcy enters the weekend one individual win shy of matching Paola Hernandez‘ school record for career wins during the Division I era. D’Arcy has 13 wins this season and 59 career victories over 2+ seasons in Bakersfield.
- Sophomore Mikayla Popham is the reigning MPSF Swimmer of the Week, after winning the 200 Freestyle and the 200 Individual Medley in a dual meet at Fresno State on Dec. 11. Popham was a three-time Western Athletic Conference Swimmer of the Week in 2019-20, before earning WAC Freshman of the Year honors.
- CSUB leads the MPSF with four women’s Swimmer of the Week selections. Autumn D’Arcy has won the award three times and now boasts eight career Swimmer of the Week awards.
- Autumn D’Arcy won a silver medal at the Toyota US Open, becoming the first CSUB swimmer to reach an A-Final, or medal, at a USA Swimming event.
- D’Arcy, Popham, Ariane Skeggs, Danielle Albright and Lorena Jerebic each won individual events for Bakersfield in the dual at Fresno State.
- Lorena Jerebic has won at least one race in each of CSUB’s three dual meets this season.
- Seniors Kris Rogic, Loren Gillilan, Antonio Milin and Ryan Brimer competed at the Toyota US Open, alongside D’Arcy and Popham. The rest of the CSUB men have not competed since Nov. 18-20 at Dixie State.
- Kris Rogic leads the Roadrunner men with seven individual victories on the year, Antonio Milin and Loren Gillilan are next with five each. Ryan Brimer has four.
- Head Coach Chris Hansen announced the signings of Yigit Saglam and Arthur Schneider on Dec. 17, as part of the 2022 men’s recruiting class.
- Former CSUB coaches Larry Everingham, Ernie Maglischo and Bob Steele were honored among the Top-100 College Coaches, as part of the College Swimming Coaches’ Association of America’s 100th anniversary celebration.
FOLLOW THE `RUNNERS:
Enjoy premium content and stay connected with Roadrunner swimming all season long by following the program on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter. Fans of CSUB Diving can stay connected on Instagram.
A LOOK AHEAD:
Both teams will travel to Cal Poly for a Jan. 8 dual in San Luis Obispo, Calif., before returning home for Senior Day on Jan. 15, against Fresno Pacific. Pepperdine will also join the Jan. 15 dual on the women’s side.