OMAHA, Neb. – Alabama had a big day at the United States Swimming Olympic Team Trials being held in Omaha, Neb., this week, producing a trio of top-10 finishes and advancing two finals and a shot at an Olympic berth.
Rhyan White, in her third semifinals at these trials, moves on to her second final in the 200-meter backstroke, going 2:08.39 to be seeded third heading into Saturday’s finals. White finished second in the 100-meter backstroke earlier in the week, earning a trip to Tokyo.
Tyler Sesvold, who missed the 2021 collegiate season following shoulder surgery during the fall semester, announced he was back in big way, finishing fifth in prelims of the 100-meter buttefly with a school record 51.83, becoming the first UA swimmer under 52 seconds. Sesvold then posted a 52.06 in the semifinals to take eighth, earning a spot in finals and a chance at an Olympic berth.
Kensey McMahon opened the day for the Crimson Tide with her third top-10 finish at the trials, taking ninth in the 800-meter freestyle with a time of 8:35.73.
Day Six Results for the Crimson Tide
- Women’s 200-meter backstroke semifinals – Rhyan White touches the wall with a time of 2:08.39 and is seeded third heading into Saturday’s final
- Men’s 100-meter butterfly semifinals – Tyler Sesvold goes 52.06 to grab a spot in the final
- Women’s 800-meter freestyle prelims – Kensey McMahon swam a 8:35.73 to finish ninth
- Men’s 100-meter butterfly prelims – Tyler Sesvold swam a school-record 51.83 to take fifth in prelims and advance to the semifinals, while Derek Maas swam a 54.50 to finish 55th
- Women’s 200-meter backstroke prelims – Rhyan White swam a 2:08.92 to take third place in prelims, advancing to the semifinals while Morgan Liberto finished 28th with a time of 2:14.10
Day Seven Schedule
- Preliminaries start at 10 a.m. CT on Saturday, with the evening session getting underway at 7:45 p.m. CT
- Men’s 50-meter freestyle prelims – Matt King
- Women’s 50-meter freestyle prelims – Cora Dupre, Morgan Scott
- Women’s 200-meter backstroke final – Rhyan White
- Men’s 100-meter butterfly final – Tyler Sesvold
Current Alabama Swimmers at the USA Swimming Olympic Team Trials
- Cora Dupre, 100m backstroke, 50m, 100m and 200m freestyle
- Matt King, 50m and 100m freestyle
- Morgan Liberto, 100m and 200m backstroke
- Derek Maas, 100m and 200m breaststroke and 100m butterfly
- Kensey McMahon, 400m, 800m, 1500m freestyle, 400m individual medley
- Matt Menke, 100m backstroke
- Christopher O’Connor, 100m and 200m backstroke
- Nicholas Perera, 200m and 400m individual medley
- Morgan Scott, 50, 100m and 200m freestyle, 100m backstroke
- Tyler Sesvold, 100m butterfly
- Eric Stelmar, 100m and 200m backstroke
- Rhyan White, 100m and 200m backstroke, 100m butterfly
- Cat Wright, 100m breaststroke, 200m individual medley
For all the latest information on the Alabama swimming and diving teams, follow AlabamaSwimDive on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook. General athletic news can be found @UA_Athletics on Twitter and Instagram and Alabama Athletics on Facebook.